Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Little Miss


In the history of mommies I think every mommy at one time or another has said, "I can't believe she/he (referring to their child, of course) is ____ years old". At this stage in my life, nine years and three kids later, I finally do believe. I believe that time goes by way too quickly. Those little babies that I want to stay little, and specifically tell them to do so, grow into two year olds, and four (almost five) year olds, and nine-and-a-half year olds. And it breaks my heart. I wish wish wish they could stay little forever. But I do know that in wishing this I am forgetting the wonderful times that are yet to come. Like when I give Milli something, and unprompted, she tells me, "Hank you mommy". Or when I am on my way to book club and Piper, trying to act so grown up, with her chin quivering tells me she doesn't want me to go, so she comes with me and cuddles up to me most of the time. Or when Hatch comes to me in the middle of the night knowing it is me who will quiet his fears.
So my little miss, I DO believe that you are two years old, and I wish you a very Happy Birthday indeed. And no matter how much I wish that would stay little forever, I know that you won't, so I look forward to the wonderful times ahead.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, how time has flown. She was not much older than Taegen when you moved in. Happy Birthday Millie!

carol said...

This is such a great, well written post! You took the thoughts right out of my head and should really look into publishing this somewhere. I am serious. I think the entire world should read that post. sniff sniff. So TRUE.
happy b-day milli, you light up our lives! xoxoxoxoxo

snakeriverwalton said...

This really is a well written post. I got all sentimental thinking of my babies while I read it. It's good they can still be cute in my memories.

Jennae Christensen said...

okay I totally cried after reading this and then went on southwest to look at ticket prices... I miss you ALL:(

leslie mae said...

Oh my goodness, that totally made me cry!! Maybe because I feel the same way; I hold on to every single second of their littleness {is that even a word}.

Your kids are super cute; we just love them!! It's great that my kids have such awesome best friends!!

Sharon Andersen said...

Well you made everyone cry!!!even me. I cannot believe how big the kids are. I know I wish I could have the time back when you and your brothers were little. Love you so much.